- To find your representative in Congress visit the NF Advocacy Site
- Determine whether or not the official will be at the local/home office or at the Capitol Hill office
- Call the Member of Congress’s office well in advance of when you intend to meet with him/her.
- Ask to speak with the Appointment Secretary or Scheduler.
- To increase your chance at getting a meeting with your Representative at home, try one of these lines:
“I’m a constituent, and I would really like to meet with the Representative to discuss how neurofibromatosis has affected my life. Is there a date that he/she is available for this meeting?”
“I would really like to meet with the Congress(wo)man while he/she is back from Washington to talk about neurofibromatosis. What date would work best for his/her schedule when he/she is back home?”
- Briefly explain the purpose of your meeting request.
- Follow up. Clarify the best way to be in touch and contact the office again in a week to check on your meeting request.
- Some offices require the submission of a written request in order to schedule a meeting.
- Send a thank you note following your meeting.
Meeting in person is the best way to inspire your Members of Congress to care about neurofibromatosis.